I recently read an article that said men have a sexual thought every seven seconds? Really??? If that's right, you would have to assume that if the average male is awake for 16 hours a day, he would have to think about sex more than 8,000 times a day. That's about as many times as a person breathes while awake.
The Social Organization of Sexuality found that 54 per cent of men reported thinking about sex every day or several times a day, 43 per cent a few times a month or a few times a week, and four per cent less than once a month.
When women were asked the same question: 19 per cent reported thinking about sex every day or several times a day, 67 per cent a few times a month and 14 per cent less than once a month.
After reading those statistics I wanted to do my own survey, so I asked my friends on Facebook if they thought about sex every day. Here are a few of their responses.
- I've been thinking about sex every day ever since I lost my virginity at 19. Love it and my goal is to be a dirty old lady with or without a partners. Thank goodness for toys!
- Sex is way overrated… and I think I overrated it! And sex is so seldom talked about openly, yet so predominant in our thoughts. How strange.
- I think about it every day….several times a day. It's very important to me. Sometimes i think my sex drive is greater than my husbands.
- Since I turned 40 three years ago I realize I think of sex so much more often. Absolutely every day. I'm fortunate enough to now have an amazing man in my life who is quite happy about that.
- I'm sorry, what was the question? I was lost in a sexual fantasy.
Our sexuality is an important part of who we are. So, if more people were actually having sex, maybe we would have less time to simply think about it.